The Business Platinum Card® from American Express Review
If you want a versatile business card that will reward you with points towards big travel-related perks, then you need to check out The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, a Credit Cards House advertiser. This card offers many benefits that business travelers seek out, such as airport lounge access and a high welcome bonus offer.
Note: Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit AmericanExpress.com to learn more.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
With The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll be eligible to earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 in your first three months (see offer terms). Additional points are awarded at 1X points for every $1 spent on all eligible purchases and 5X points for every $1 spent on eligible American Express Travel website purchases (see benefit terms).
The card earns 1.5X points on eligible purchases made in the following business categories:
- U.S. construction materials and hardware suppliers.
- U.S. electronic goods retailers.
- U.S. software and cloud system providers.
- U.S. shipping providers.
The card also earns 1.5X points on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more everywhere else. The 1.5X points are earned on up to $2 million of eligible purchases each calendar year (see benefit terms).
The Business Platinum is a great choice for small business owners who want to maximize their everyday spending and are frequent flyers. This card has a special appeal for travelers who want to make their airport time more relaxing and turn the experience into an enjoyable adventure. Some of the best features include:
- No foreign transaction fees (see rates and fees)
- Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 in your first 3 months (see offer terms)
- Over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select card purchases, including up to $400 in statement credits for U.S. purchases with Dell ($200 semiannually), up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe, and more (enrollment required)
- 1.5X points in select business categories, as well as on on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more (cap applies, see benefit terms)
- 35% points back for flights on your selected qualifying airline (cap applies; enrollment required)
- 35% points back on all first and business class flights through American Express Travel (cap applies, see benefit terms)
- 1x points for every $1 spent on all eligible purchases (see benefit terms)
- 5X points on flights and prepaid hotels on AmexTravel.com (see benefit terms)
- Flexible rewards redemption with Membership Points
- No limit on points and no expiration date
- Pay Over Time option
The high-end travel perks are what draw frequent business travelers to this card. As an American Express Business Platinum cardmember, you’ll receive access to premium travel benefits, exclusive platinum features, and membership rewards.
Not to mention you’ll be able to use the bonuses that come with the American Express membership, like dispute resolution, receipt matching and a trusted account manager. These premium member perks also include:
Premium Travel Benefits
- Airport lounge access (worth over $400; enrollment required)
- $200 airline fee credit (enrollment required)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck (enrollment required; see rates and fees)
- Up to $189 CLEAR® credit on your membership when you use your card (enrollment required; see benefit terms)
- Upgraded hotels and lodging perks
- Car rental upgrades and additional privileges (enrollment required)
Card Membership Features
- Tailored recommendations from concierge services available 24/7
- Purchase and price protection
- Premium roadside assistance
- Baggage insurance plan coverage
- Travel accident insurance
- Free subscription to Departures magazine
- Extended warranty coverage
American Express Perks
- Additional employee cards
- Dispute resolution
- Online statements and account alerts
- Connect to QuickBooks software (enrollment required)
- Mobile apps for phones and tablets
- Chip-enabled security
While The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has quite a long list of premium perks, it does have a few it may not be for everyone. If you’re not a frequent traveler, or have business expenses that veer on the lower side, this card’s benefits may not offset the high $695 annual fee (see rates and fees).
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is best for frequent business travelers who want regular access to perks like the Priority Pass (enrollment required), airport lounge memberships to over 1,400 lounges worldwide and complimentary 24/7 concierge services. You may also find the Business Platinum card very beneficial for easing your travel experience, with quick TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, and baggage insurance coverage.
The annual fee can seem high to prospective cardmembers. However, with the ability to recoup that cost with the $200 airline fee credit, statement credits from Dell and Indeed valued at over $1,000, and platinum airport lounge access worth over $400, the card should be considered by any frequent business traveler. In addition, as long as you use this card for business travel and other related purchases, the annual fee is tax-deductible as a business expense.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.
First published , last updated
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.